I had the honour of being Cathaoirleach or Mayor of the County of Dún Laoghaire Rathdown for a period of one year from June 2009 to June 2010. The job involved chairing County Council, County Development Plan, Corporate Policy Group and other committee’s/meetings. Planning and adopting the annual budget.
In addition I performed ceremonial duties such as the opening of the Festival of World Cultures and the Mountains to Sea Book Festival, art exhibitions, book launches, craft fairs and the Dún Laoghaire Regatta. I have opened new roads, community centres and playgrounds. I hosted a Coffee morning for the Blackrock Hospice. At Christmas I hosted a Charity concert and launched a CD in conjunction with the Kingston Academy of Music based in Dún Laoghaire.
I have also had the privilege of meeting some wonderful people from throughout the County of Dun Laoghaire Rathdown, in addition I have meet the ambassadors from the U.S.A, Canada, China, Japan, Pakistan, Malaysia and Kenya. Among the household names I have meet I can include, Brian O’Driscoll, Maeve Binchy, Brian Cowen, Ryan Turbridy, Seamus Heaney and Marc Coleman.
In the last Local Elections in June 2009 I topped the poll and was elected on the first count with a first preference vote of 2,855.
I am involved in the following committees:
Involvement at Council level
- Leader of the Fine Gael Group on Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Council
- Dún Laoghaire Rathdown County Enterprise Board member
- Board member of Dún Laoghaire Rathdown Properties
- Lord Edward Fitzgerald Memorial Fund member
- Dún Laoghaire Rathdown Joint Policing Board member
- Current member of the Transportaion SPC
- Current member of the Water and Waste SPC
Local community involvement
- Founding member of Blackrock Business Network and Hon. Secretary from 2010 to 2014
- Founder/Chairperson of the Blackrock Tidy Towns Committee since 2007
I was elected on my first attempt to run during the 2004 Local Elections with a first preference vote of 2,177 votes, taking the second seat in a four seater ward.
Member of the Planning SPC
Member of the Environment & Climate Change SPC
Local community background
• Chairperson Blackrock Tidy Towns Committee since 2007
• Chairperson Scout Group Council of the 29th Dublin Blackrock Scouts
• Member of the Board of Management (2003-2007) and Chairperson of Parents Association (2000-2003) of Carysfort National School
• Member of the Blackrock Society
• Member of the Irish Guide Dogs Association
- Educated at Eccles Street and the College of Marketing and Design.
- Married with 4 children.
- Interests include local history, quizzes, golf, badminton and aquafit.