Question: Councillor M. Baker:
To ask the Manager to explain the following:
- The number of staff who have the authority to issue fines for dog fouling?
- On what basis is such a fine issued?
- The cost of such a fine?
- How many of these fines are paid?
- 6 Litter Wardens, 1 Dog Warden and the Supervisor to the Wardens are authorised to issue fines under the Litter Pollution acts 1997-2003, including Section 22 Dog Fouling, as are members of the Gardai.
- A Dog Fouling fine is issued in cases where:
- The offence has been witnessed by a member of staff mentioned in part 1 above or,
- Where the offence has been witnessed by another person, i.e. a member of the public and it has been put in writing confirming the date, time and location of the offence and,
- when the dog owner(s) name and address can be identified.
- All on-the-spot fines under the Litter Pollution Act 1997-2003 are in the amount of €150.00. Failure to pay will result in a prosecution being prepared and fines in Court can be up to €3,000.00.
- The following is the number of fines issued and paid over the last 10 years:
Year Fine Issued Fines Paid 1999 1 0 2000 9 8 2001 1 1 2002 4 3 2003 8 8 2004 4 3 2005 0 0 2006 0 0 2007 3 2 plus one prosecution 2008 (Jan-Oct) 0 0